Recently when I was browsing through the internet, I came across this web page pointing out to the music in Indian cinema which has been “lifted” from other sources of world music. Yes, this is a very controversial topic indeed and it is agreeable to a certain extent that there are composers in the Indian music industry who have lifted songs from all over the world and from their own counter-parts also. These are done so blatantly that even the common man who just listens and enjoys music can point it out. This, as a musician I can call it as outright copying or so called plagiarism. There have been numerous instances when this has been happened and we all shall agree to it.
But the same webpage points out so many musical pieces by legendary composers in the Indian music industry. But to point out a few, there were certain compositions which were identified as “lifted” by say Illayaraja, I am citing him because I’ve been listening to so much of his music right from my childhood, that makes things easier for me. The webpage says he has copied music from the symphonies of Mozart and Beethoven and certain Russian symphony writers. They are pointing towards certain compositions of AR.Rahman also where they claim there is plagiarism.
As a musician myself I got to admit that some of their works were similar. But most of the cases like IR’s inspirations from the symphonies were magical. I got to admit that too. Every artist draws his inspirations from the things from which he was inspired. Creativity cannot be original always because what you create is from the things which you have been influenced by. Being creative is a sub-conscious and a subtle process. It doesn’t involve rationality like mathematics or physics. On that note even physics and a lot of inventions were “created” from the so called inspirations from the nature.
I have to agree to the fact that since music industry involves a lot of money nowadays, things like these have to be avoided. If some composer is inspired from someone else’s music, a proper formal approach can be taken up so that issues like these don’t arise. I also have to say that people like the one who runs the webpage, sitting at his office, listening to someone else’s creativity and searching through the entire world for something similar are very stupid and wasting their precious time. They have to understand the basic fact that inspiration from things plays a very huge role in a person’s creativity. And I also strongly believe that creative works shouldn’t be analyzed with a rational mind, because it never does justice to a person’s creativity. Rationality has it own limits. But kudos to the people who run the webpage for bringing out composers who have literally “copied” music as claimed by the page.
And by the way, if you people are interested in checking out the web page, here’s the link

No comments:
Post a Comment